A little girl with a big heart is champion Breast Stroker – Megan Tomes. This 2017 has taken its toll on her swimmer’s body with 5 injuries, but she has embraced this for this season only and is more determined for her swim journey onward and upward. She is a gentle spirit and says this about herself “I am a very loyal person who hates to see my friends hurt. I am caring and help where I can. I know I am not perfect and I have made mistakes in my life, but I try my best to own them. I am also responsible”. She dreams to establish herself as an advocate encouraging our youth to dream big and remain grounded when achieving success.
Athlete: Bio / Stats
|Name & Surname||Megan Tomes|
|Nick Name||Megs and Megsie|
|Date of birth||10 November 2003|
|Place of birth||Centurion, Pretoria|
|Shoe Size||Size 8|
|Club||TUKS Swimming Club|
|Coach’s Name||Keenan Riffel|
|Secondary Sport/ sports||Hockey (at school)|
|Favorite City||Calgary, Canada|
|Favorite Song/ type of music||Song: Show Me Your Love – Monark
Type of music: pop
|Favorite Movie||Despicable Me 3 and Hunger Games Triology|
|School & Grade||School: Southdowns College
|Twitter and Instagram, Facebook name||I don’t have Twitter, Instagram or Facebook, only WhatsApp|
|Parents Names, siblings||Mom: Tania Tomes
Dad: Adolph Tomes
I don’t have any siblings but I have three kids who are like siblings to me:
Mia, Jean and Pierre Terblanche
Q: You are passionate and doing so well in your Swimming, tell me a little bit about how you started in Swimming and your journey in the Swimming arena up to now?
- Well at one years old my parents took me for swimming lessons (the usual learn to float, turn on your back, learn to swim with clothes on etc.) and I realized I had a passion for swimming. After that I joined learn to swim classes with Coach Rocco Meiring. In Grade 3 I started swimming for the school and in the middle of Grade 3 I started swimming competitively for TUKS. I have now been swimming competitively with TUKS for 5 years now and have enjoyed every moment of it.
Q: Who are you? Describe yourself as a person.
- I am a very loyal person who hates to see my friends hurt. I am caring (I always help my friends who are upset and even if they have a stupid problem I still try to help where I can.) I know I am not perfect and I have made mistakes in my life, but I try my best to own them. I am also responsible.
- Characteristics I would like to see in myself in the future is being a responsible, mature person, who cares for other people and can help other people.
Q: What is the highest accolade that you have achieved in Swimming and what is your greatest personal accomplishment?
- At the Regional Level 3 gala this year, I received a gold medal for 200m Breaststroke, a silver medal for 100m Breast and a bronze medal for the 50m Breast. At our Interhouse Swimming Gala I received Junior Victrix Loudorum and Best Junior swimmer at school. Last year at the Regional Level 3 (The old level 2) gala I received a Gold medal for 200m Breaststroke.
Q: Why do you have so much love and respect for your coach?
- I have a lot of respect for my coach because he has walked with me every step of the way and never gave up on me. He takes time to work with every single swimmer. This year I have been struggling with 5 injuries and he never gave up on me and always helped me to stay positive. He has a personal relationship with every single swimmer etc.
Q: What is your favorite food? And who must cook it J?
- My favourite food is The Chicken Stir – Fry from Cappacinos and Lamb Curry that is cooked by my Father.
Q: So you swim well and are doing well in academics but name 1 thing that you suck at 🙂
- The one thing I suck at is Athletics and Cross-Country (I suck at running)
Q: What is your personal favourite motivational quote?
- My favourite motivational quote is: “Feel our hearts pounding, muscles burning, lungs screaming. Feel our love and hate for our opponent. Feel the insane drive to keep pushing. To get to the wall. To win. I am a swimmer. I am a champion.”
Q: What is your favourite Bible / Scripture quote?
- My favourite scripture is: “Hope does not disappoint us because God has poured out his love by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us – Romans 5:5”.
Q: What is your definition of success in life?
- For me success is about giving your all no matter what the cost. Success is about achieving your goals that you have set for yourself. Success isn’t always about winning but about giving your all and pleasing yourself. Yes winning is awesome and feels amazing afterward but it can give you a label that you may not want. If you have tried your utmost best than you have already won. That is what my dad always says and I absolutely believe that is true.
Q: What’s your WHY ?
- I do what I do because swimming is a part of my life and I would never be able to live without it. Swimming is the only sport where I can bring my abilities to the surface. I have made some of my closest friends at swimming and they make my life so much happier and light – hearted. I would like to be a person who shows people that through sport you can still help a person (if I can become more professional in my swimming career.) I want to become involved in charities to show the youth that we must not only dream – we must pursue our dreams and remain grounded when achieving success.
Q: Anything else you would like to share?
- Just a piece of advice for my fellow swimmers or any person who might be struggling with hope and motivation – sometimes it might look like things are just going worse and worse but there is always a bit of hope and positivity in the world. Lean on people you trust and they will help you get through your difficulties in life. Trust me I have gone through 5 injuries this swimming season and I am still standing strong!!!
Thank you so much for taking this interview. We would like to wish you all the best for your journey ahead. We look forward to following you as you go from strength to strength. Blessings!